Help out Justin

Hello people. So my “dorkasaurus” friend Justin has relapsed with Leukemia. The last time round they fought it with chemotherapy. This time he is in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant. None of his family members are a match. This is where all of us come in.

Please get tested to see if you are a match. To get tested is really simple and only requires a mouth swab or a very quick blood test. There is a $50 fee for processing the marrow sample, but if you donate blood too, then the cost is waived. You can also get a kit mailed to you.

If you get tested I will send you an original drawing. Its a great way to start the new year.

Here is Justin’s email. He can fill you in on the info you need to know.

justin@thedutchpress.com

If you are in the greater LA area, you can go directly to City of Hope to donate blood and get tested at the same time.

If you aren’t in the LA area, here are some links for registering with the National Bone Marrow Registry, the entire registry is a worldwide network and is also linked in with the Red Cross, so there are lots of places to go if you aren’t in the LA area. Here are links to figure out where the closest is for you:

8 comments ↓

#1 Kyle on 12.30.08 at 7:03 am

Way to get the word out. I am an organ donor but never thought to get tested for bone marrow, now I will. I just emailed Justin and can’t wait to see if i can help out!

#2 Sarah Frazier on 12.30.08 at 7:25 pm

Just a thought, but you might want to post his blood type if you know it. It’s a good first step to weed out people who wouldn’t possibly eligible, and might encourage matches to get tested!

#3 Donate Bone Marrow, Get a Drawing by Amanda Visell | ToyCyte: Toy Culture Collected on 01.01.09 at 1:26 pm

[...] start out the new year by helping each other. Here’s Amanda’s words from her blog at Daily Du Jour: Hello people. So my “dorkasaurus” friend Justin has relapsed with Leukemia. The last time [...]

#4 eric on 01.02.09 at 9:24 am

hope he can get well soon,
wish him all the best..

#5 Kate on 01.21.09 at 10:11 am

The same day I read your post, I received an email from a friend of mine who was also putting out a plea for a friend named Justin. Seems now I’ve GOT to go. Anyways, they’re organizing a marrow drive this Friday in case anyone else is interested. I’ll be there.

WHERE: The Hollywood Schoolhouse, 1233 N. McCadden Place (between Fountain and Lexington), Los Angeles.
WHEN: Friday the 23rd from 8-12 AND from 3-7

“NO APPOINTMENT necessary. It’s a simple cheek swab. The test costs $52.00, but PLEASE don’t let the money keep you away. If you can only afford to pay some of it or none of it, come any way. NO ONE will be turned away. Bring a check book (please) if you plan to pay for yourself or for others. If you are not in LA, PLEASE forward this to any one you know who is. Thankyou so much for your help.”

#6 Paul on 02.04.09 at 7:24 am

did you find a match yet?
I would fly out to LA and get the test, no problem

#7 GiftOfLife on 03.12.09 at 7:34 am

I love your drawing gift idea! I think it’s a great way to raise awareness. I was wondering if you’ve heard of Gift of Life. They’re another bone marrow and cord blood registry, and they’re looking for original ways to get people involved. Giving away art for donations is definitely something they’d be really interested in.

#8 Do a good deed and get a free drawing from Amanda Visell | Do a good deed and get a free drawing from Amanda Visell wallpapers | Do a good deed and get a free drawing from Amanda Visell desktop wallpapers | Wallpapers 2010 | Desktop Wallpapers 2010 | Wind on 04.18.10 at 6:08 am

[...] what Amanda Visell just posted: Hello people. So my “dorkasaurus” friend Justin has relapsed with Leukemia. The [...]